Sushma Swaraj Biography:
Sushma Swaraj is a politician and BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) member in India. She is currently serving as Union Minister for External Affairs in Indian Government. She worked as a parliament member for 6th tem and was the opposition leader in Fifteenth Lok Sabha. In 1998, she became Member of Legislative Assembly twice during 1977 – 1982 and 1987 – 90 and also once from Delhi. In 1998 October, she led the first woman CM position of Delhi. Sushma Swaraj political career graph is an illustration for her role in Politics of India. She worked in key positions both as ruling party member and opposition party member. She stands as a role model for many young women who are interested to step in Indian Politics.
In the year 1977, सुषमा स्वराज became the youngest minister of Cabinet, at her 25 years age. During the 13 day government held in 1996 under the administration of Atal Behari Vajpayee, Sushma Swaraj took a drastic step of telecasting live debates of Lok Sabha when she was a Minister of Union Cabinet for Information and Broadcasting.
Image Source: india.com
Sushma Swaraj Profile:
|Full Name||Sushma Swaraj|
|Profession||Union Minister for External Affairs|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Member of||Parliament Member for sixth term|
|Profession before joining Politics||Advocate in Supreme Court of India|
|Sushma Swaraj Date of Birth||14th Feb, 1952|
|Father||Shri Haridav Sharma|
|Mother||Shrimati Laxmi Devi|
|Spouse / Husband||Swaraj Kaushal|
|Sushma Swaraj Age||62 years|
Sushma Swaraj Family and Personal Background:
Smt. Sushma Swaraj was born on 14th Febraury, 1952 to Shri Hardev Sharma and Shrimati Laxmi Devi at Ambala. Her father played an eminent role as Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh Member.
Sushma Swaraj Education:
Image Source: teluguone.com
She completed her graduation from S.D. (Sanatan Dharma) College of Ambala Cantonment in B.A with Sanskrit and Political Science as major subjects. She completed her degree course in LL.B at Chandigarh from Department of Laws of Punjab University. She received the Best Student Award in 1970 from S.D. College.
She was also interested in extra circular activities. Classical Music, Fine arts, poetry and drama are some of her interests. She is very eager in reading poetry and literature. For three consecutive years, she was announced as the best cadet of N.C.C. of S.D.(Sanatan Dharma) College. She won the best Hindi Speaker Award for three consecutive years in a state level competition held by Haryana Language Department.
Susma Swaraj also became the best Hindi speaker of Punjab University in the Memorial declamation contest of A. C. Bali and there she was awarded the colour of University. She has won many awards for of distinction in debates, dramas, rhetoric contests, recitations and other cultural activities. She was the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan President of Haryana State for four years. Her marriage was done on July 13th 1975.
Image Source: starsunfolded.com
Sushma Swaraj husband, Swaraj Kaushal was a criminal lawyer and Indian Supreme Court Senior Advocate. In 1990, Swaraj Kaushal, her husband was elected as the youngest Governor of India. During 1990-93, he worked as Mizoram Governor. From 1998 – 2004, Swaraj was a Parliament Member. Bansuri Kaushal, their daughter, is a Graduate from Oxford University and also a Barrister from Inner Temple at Law.
Sushma Swaraj Professional Background:
Sushma Swaraj started her career by practicing as an Advocate in 1973.
Sushma Swaraj Political Enrty:
Image Source: deccanchronicle.com
In the year 1970, she entered into politics of India as a student leader. Many objections against Indira Gandhi’s Government were well ordered and organized by her. She is an extraordinary and remarkable speaker and also a campaigner. She was actively involved in the campaigns held against Emergency after joining the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party). Her exploration and undertaking abilities in Politics of India made her the first woman CM of Delhi and later as first woman opposition leader. At her age of 27 years, she became the Haryana’s State President of Bharatiya Janata Party.
Political Journey of Sushma:
- For four years, she served as a member of Janata Party as National Executive.
- She the Bharatiya Janata Party’s President position for four years in Haryana State.
- She served as all India Secretary of BJP for two years.
- In the year 1977, she was the first woman to be elected to the Legislative Assembly of Haryana State when she was declared as the Cabinet Minister in the state. She was the India’s youngest cabinet minister and managed 8 portfolios (financial assets) from 1977-79 which also included Labour, Social Welfare and Employment.
- In the year 1987, she was re elected from Legislative Assembly of Haryana and became the cabinet minister from 1987-1990 managing the portfolios (financial assets) of Food and Education, Civil Supplies.
- In April 1990, she was elected as Rajya Sabha Member.
Image Source: ndtv.com
- In the year 1996, she became the member of 11th Lok Sabha for the 2nd
- In the same year, she was appointed as Minister of Union Cabinet for Information and Broadcasting service during the 13-day government in the government of Vajpayee. She took a drastic step of telecasting live Lok Sabha debates.
- After two year, in the year 1998, she was re elected as 12th Lok Sabha Member for the 3rd
- From 13th October 1998 to 3rd December 1998, she became Delhi’s first woman chief minister.
- In 1998 November, she was elected as MLA of Delhi Assembly from Hauz Khas Assembly Constituency but she resigned to retain (preserve) the Lok Sabha Seat.
- In April of 2000, she was re elected as Member of Rajya Sabha.
- From 30th Sep 2000 to 29th Jan 2003, she remained as the Information and Broadcasting Minister.
- From 19th March 1998 to 12th October 1998, she was given the additional charge for Telecommunications Sector along with Information and Broadcasting.
- In April of 2006, she was again elected as Rajya Sabha Member for 5th
- On 16th May 2009, she was elected as 15th Lok Sabha Member for 6th
- On 3rd June 2009, she became the Opposition Party’s Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha.
- On 21st December 2009, she replaced Lal Krishna Advani and became the first woman leader of Opposition Party.
- On 26th May of 2014, she became the External Affairs Union Minister in Indian Government.
- She served as a member of different committees:
Image Source: sillyconfusion.com
- Library Committee
- Committee on Public Undertakings
- Committee on Subordinate Legislation of Haryana’s Legislature
- Consultative Committee of Human Resource Development Minister
- Committee on Government Assurances of Rajya Sabha
- She also had memberships in:
- Consultative Committee of Information and Broadcasting Ministry
- Member of Law and Justice in Hindi Salahakar Samiti of Ministry
- Committee on Communications Ministry
- Rajya Sabha’s General Purpose Committee
- Committee on Televising the Parliament proceedings
- Committee of Philatelic Advisory of Communications Ministry
- Executive Member of Parliamentary Group of India.
- She was nominated to the Vice-Chairmen Panel of Rajya Sabha
- She served as Chairperson of:
- Catering Joint Committee on Parliament
- Petitions Committee of Rajya Sabha
Sushma Swaraj Awards:
- She won the Best Speaker Award given by Haryana State Assembly
- She was the first and only woman MP to win Outstanding Parliamentarian Award
- She won the Best Parliamentarian Award Twice in 2008 and 2010.
Sushma Swaraj Contact Details: 23011127, 23011165