Kalighat Kali Temple –a union of Maa Kali followers and pilgrimage based tourism in Eastern India
Kalighat has been the common destination for pilgrims in Eastern India, especially Kolkata. The devotees of Maa Kali rush in from all corners of the country for a glimpse of their beloved Kali Maa, the Goddess of strength and power. Since the last 14 years, the website is showing the divine path of Kalighat Kali Temple to pilgrims from all over the world.
The story behind the Kalighat Kali Temple
- Kalighat is one of the 52 Sakthi Peethas in the country.
- It is a traditional belief that Chowringee Natha, son of King Devapala of Bengal, built this Kalighat Kali Temple. Though, Sabarna Roy Chowdhury’s family of Barisha claims to have constructed the Kalighat Temple.
Some facts about Kalighat Temple
- All the priests performing the daily worship at SosthiTala are female. Male priests are not allowed here.
- Animal sacrifices are executed at HarkathTala.
- Kundupukur Tank is considered as a blessing for childless couples. Many married couples have been blessed with a baby child after taking a bath in this divine water tank.
Kalighat Temple timings
- At Kalighat, the day begins with Mongol Aarti at 4:00 am every day.
- Pilgrims can enter the temple from 5:00 am onwards.
- Special NityaPuja of Goddess Kali is performed daily from 5:30 am to 7:00 am.
- The morning rituals are carried on till 2:00 pm after which Kalighat Temple is closed till evening 5:00 pm
- Sandhya Aarti is performed every day from 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm
- Kalighat Kali Temple is finally closed at 10:30 pm on weekdays and 11:30 pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Information and online services offered by this website
- Detailed route guidance to reach Kalighat Kali Temple by using bus services or metro train services from all parts of West Bengal state.
- Average time taken in the free queue is 60 to 90 minutes on a general day. There is a special queue for staff/ seva workers and VIP dignitaries.
- A long list of Dos and DONTs for pilgrims standing in the line, inside the sacred Garbagraha.
- Precautionary steps to save pilgrims from the dalals and pandas inside the Kalighat Temple.
- Exhaustive photo gallery of images related to Kalighat Kali Temple.
- Free audio and video downloads of prayers, chants and religious hymns of Goddess Kali available in Hindi, English and Bangla languages.
How to reach Kalighat Kali Temple?
You can reach Kalighat Kali Temple via using Taxi Services (or) Cab services and the nearest metro stations are Kalighat should exit in southern side and Jatin Das Park should exit in northern side.
Pilgrims to Kalighat are strongly advised to check the below website for a divine experience at the Kalighat Kali Temple.