The Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change – पर्यावरण वन और जलवायु परिवर्तन मंत्रालय
The Central Government of India formed the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change to take important decisions regarding the environment and its conservation in India. Its abbreviated form is MoEFCC. Its year of establishment is 1985. Get more about the MOEF from here.
The headquarters of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is at Indira Paryavaran Bhavan, in New Delhi, the capital of India. Its annual budget is Rs 2,675.42 crore.
The Ministry is accountable for promoting, planning, overseeing and coordinating the implementation of forestry and environmental programmes in India. The Ministry performs various activities including survey and conservation of the fauna and flora of India. It also controls and prevents the pollution. It introduced acts like the Forest Conservation Act and the Wildlife Protection Act.
History of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Environmental debates have been a part of India’s political concerns and discussions since the tenure of Indira Gandhi, the former Prime Minister of our country. As an example, we can mention the Five-Year Plan of 1969-74 that called for harmonious development to deal with environmental issues. She also added an Article in 1786, Article 48A, to the Constitution of India and opined that the “State should endeavor to protect and improve the environment and to safeguard the forests and wildlife of the country.” Constitutional and political changes of this type paved the way for the establishment of a Department of Environment in the year 1980. After 5 years, the same department acquired the stature of a Ministry- the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
The Ministry of Environment and Forests used to deal with climatic changes. Later on, the government decided to make it clear. The government renamed the Ministry as the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in 2014, in May.
MoEFCC Subordinate Offices
Here is a list of some subordinate offices under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change:
- National Museum of Natural History in New Delhi
- National Board of Wildlife
- Botanical Survey of India
- Animal Welfare Board of India in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands Forest and Plantation Development Corporation
- Zoological Survey of India or ZSI, situated in Kolkata, West Bengal
- NZP or National Zoological Park, New Delhi.
- AP State Biodiversity Board, Andhra Pradesh
Attached Offices: National River Conservation Directorate – NRCD
Schemes and Missions of MoEF
- Capacity Building on Biosafety, Ministry of Environment and Forests(MoEF), New Delhi
- Chemical Accident Information and Reporting System – CAIRS, Delhi
- Digital Archives of Botanical Survey of India
- Environment and Forests Informatics Division of National Informatics Center – EFIDNIC, New Delhi
- Global Environment Facility – GEF, Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi
- Indian Forest Service – IFS
- Indian State Level Basic Environment Information Database – ISBEID
- National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management – NCSCM, Chennai.
- NHWIS – National Hazardous Waste Information System
- National Implementation Plan – NIP
- Online Submission and Monitoring of Environmental Clearances
- Ozone Cell – Ministry of Environment and Forests – MOEF, New Delhi
- Research in Environment – RE Division, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Academies / Institutions
- Centre for Environment Education – CEE, Nehru Foundation for Development, Ahmedabad
- ENVIS – Environment Management and Policy Research Institute – EMPRI
- Govind Ballabh Pant (G.B. Pant) Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development – GBPIHED
- State Forest Service College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
PSUs and Joint Ventures
- Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board
- Animal Welfare Board of India – AWBI
- Central Pollution Control Board – CPCB
- National Afforestation and Eco-Development Board
All information regarding the responsibilities and activities of MOEF are available at the official website of the Ministry.
MoEFCC Website: http://envfor.nic.in
Contact Number: 24695132
Fax Number: 24695329
Email Id: email@example.com
Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change
Indira Paryavaran Bhavan,
New Delhi – 110 003