India’s Ministry of External Affairs – विदेश मंत्रालय
The Ministry of External Affairs is a government agency of India that deals with the foreign relations of India with other countries. The abbreviated form of the Ministry of External Affairs is MEA. People also know it as the Foreign Ministry of India.
The headquarters of the Ministry of External Affairs is in New Delhi, the capital of India. The Ministry’s annual budget is Rs 15,011 crore.
Brief History of MEA
At the time of its establishment, the Ministry of External Affairs’ name was the Ministry of External Affairs and Commonwealth Relations. It got its current name in the year 1948. Jawaharlal Nehru, the former Prime Minister of India, was the in charge of the Ministry till his demise.
The Ministry is accountable for the 1887 Protection of Pilgrims Act, the Indian Pilgrim Shipping Rules (1933), administration of Tuensang Area’s Naga Hills and also Protection of the 1896 Mohammedan Pilgrims Act.
The Ministry is the sole controlling body of the Indian Foreign Affairs.
Divisions and Wings
The MEA’s divisions, units, and wings information can be found here. Get the list division details:
- Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) Division, Ministry of External Affairs
- Library, Ministry of External Affairs
- Protocol Division, Ministry of External Affairs
Commissions and Missions
It is the place to get the information on MEA Commissions and Missions details:
- Haj Committee of India
- High-Level Committee on Indian Diaspora
Bureaucratic structure from 1948 to 1964
The Ministry of External Affairs’ Secretary-General was its senior most official person. These are the responsibilities of the other secretaries:
- The Prime Minister’s main official adviser is the Secretary-General. He takes care of all the issues related to India’s foreign policy.
- The responsibility of the Foreign Secretary was to deal with Western, American, North African, West Asian counties and Eastern division.
- The Special Secretary used to take care of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ abroad missions.
- The Commonwealth Secretary took decisions related to the Commonwealth countries, excluding Canada.
Academies / Institutions
The MEA institute and academic details can be found here. To get the academic information along with the institute details from the official website of Ministry of External Affairs.
- Foreign Service Institute (FSI), MEA
Here, you can find the list of schemes launched by the Government of India under Ministry of Affairs.
- BRICS, 8th Summit, 15-16 October 2016, Goa, India
- Consular Services Management System, Ministry of External Affairs
- eMigrate – Apply for Emigration Clearance for ECR Countries
- India In Business
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Telephone Directory
- Overseas Workers Resource Centre (OWRC), New Delhi
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)
- Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC), Ministry of External Affairs
- World Hindi Conference December 22 – 24, New Delhi
Current Structure of the Ministry of External Affairs
At present, the most senior civil servant of the Ministry of External Affairs is the Foreign Secretary. He is the deciding head of the department, and other officers are working on the secretary level like Foreign Secretary, Joint Secretary, etc.
The pioneering government agency of India has its own mobile app. Ranjan Mathai launched the MEAIndia app in the year 2013, on 29th July. With the help of this app, users can apply for their passports, get information about visa and know about the Indian consulates in different parts of India.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs online portal
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has launched an online portal- www.mea.gov.in. Visit the official website to know in detail about the Ministry of External Affairs jobs.
MEA Website: http://www.mea.gov.in
Contact Number: 23011127, 23011165
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
MEA Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/mea
MEA IoS App: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/meaindia