Ministry of Steel in India – इस्पात मंत्रालय भारत सरकार
India ranks third in the list of the world’s top producers of steel. So, India has become a major game player in the global market. The Ministry of Steel is a branch of the Government of India (GOI) that formulates all policies on steel production, pricing as well as distribution in India. The Ministry of Steel has its headquarters at New Delhi’s Dr. Maulana Azad Road.
The annual budget of the Steel Ministry is Rs 47.90 crore. This ministry has introduced an online portal which is steel.nic.in. All information about its functions, activities, and schemes are available on its official website in detail. Chaudhary Birender Singh is the Steel Minister of India.
The Ministry of Steel’s functions
These are the primary responsibilities of the Ministry of Steel:
- It coordinates data from several sources to ensure the growth of India’s iron and steel industry
- The Ministry plans for the development of India and assists the whole iron and steel industry in India
- It formulates all policies related to production, import, distribution and also the export of Ferro allows iron and steel
- It also ensures the development of input industries in respect to manganese ore, iron ore, refractories and also fulfills other requirements of the steel industry in India.
Subordinate institutes and offices of the Ministry of Steel:
- National Institute of Secondary Steel Technology – NISST
- Economic Research Unit – ERU, New Delhi
- Joint Plant Committee or JPC
- Biju Patnaik National Steel Institute
National Steel Policy
National Steel Policy of the Ministry of Steel is an attempt to steer the Iron and Steel Industry of India to achieve its full potential, increase production of steel and also focus on global competition in the export of steel to foreign countries.
The Union Cabinet approved the National Steel Policy or NSP. The Steel Ministry proposed it in 2017. The policy has been giving impetus to India’s steel sector. Its goal is to increase domestic utilization of steel and transform the steel industry into a globally competitive and technologically advanced Indian Steel Industry.
Latest schemes from Indian Steel Ministry
- This Ministry aims to increase gas-based plants in India. It also aims to decrease usage of coking coal in the blast furnaces
- They are going to set up Greenfield steel plants along with the coastline of India under the Ministry of Shipping, the Sagarmala project will monitor it.
- This Ministry also aims to make the steel industry of India self-sufficient and thus, promote inclusive growth.
PSUs and Joint Ventures of Steel Ministry
- Bird Group of Companies
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited – FSNL, Chhattisgarh
- MECON Limited
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited – RINL
- National Mineral Development Corporation Limited – NMDC
- Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited – HSCL
- Manganese Ore Limited – MOIL
- MSTC Limited, New Delhi
- Kudremukh Iron Ore Company Limited – KIOCL
- Steel Authority of India Limited – SAIL
Ministry of Steel Website: http://steel.gov.in
Phone Number: 91-11-23063417
Fax Number: 91-11-23063236
Ministry of Steel – GOI,
New Delhi – 110011,