About Ganesh Chaturthi
Ganesh Chaturthi (గణేష్ చతుర్థి) also known as “Vinayaka Chavithi” (వినాయక చవితి) or “Vinayaka Chaturthi (వినాయక చతుర్థి). It is the festival of Hindus will admire the deity “Lord Ganesha” (గణేశుడు). It celebrated on the 04th day of Bhadrapada month according to Hindu lunisolar calendar. This year in 2018 it is coming on 13th September (Thursday). It is a 10 days festival which comes in August or September. Mostly it celebrated with September festivals than August festivals.
Vinayaka Chavithi History
Till now it is not clear that when the Vinayaka Chavithi has started but it became an important public and social festival with the Shivaji Bhonsle after Mughal – Maratha Wars sponsorship. The festival has become private family festival during the fall of Peshwas but in the 19th century again after public heartful request, the Lokamanya Tilka modified the family festival into a public festival. In order to connect the gap b/w various castes and to create patriotic zeal against the British among the people the Vinayaka Chavithi had made the popular festival
Vinayaka Chaturthi Celebrations
- Vinayaka Chaturthi celebrated in 10 days as the god of new beginnings and the remover of problems
- It is mostly celebrated in the following states of Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Goa.
- It is usually celebrated privately at the homes in the following states of Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh.
- The Ganesh idols will construct with clay idols privately at homes. As well as in public and places on the temporary stages (Pandals)
- On the 01st day, all the local youth peoples will place the deity on the stage after the observations of Vedic hymns chanting and Hindu texts of the following Ganapati Upanishad, Vratas, prayers etc
- Then from 02nd day onwards the local people will offer their prayers and conduct the Annadhanams (అన్నదానం), distribute the sweets (Modaks) which is the favorite sweet of Ganapathi
- The peoples will enjoy these 10 days full of dances, plays Ganpati songs, sings etc
- Then on the last day, Lord Ganesh will carry with the songs, dances and immersed in a nearby river.
- The clay dissolves in the river. After that, all peoples believe that Ganapthi will return to his parents Lord Shiva and Parvati at Mount Kailash.